At an emergency session on Monday the Czech government released 40 million crowns (1.6 million euros) in emergency aid to the Liberec region in north Bohemia, hit by devastating flash floods which claimed at least 3 lives and displaced thousands of people at the weekend. The money is to cover the region’s immediate needs such as temporary shelter for the homeless, disinfectants and clean water supplies. Another 300 to 350 million should be earmarked for reconstruction within the next few days, once approximate damage estimates from the stricken region are available. A thousand soldiers should help with the clean-up efforts in the north of the country.
The body of a 73-year-old woman who went missing in the floods may have been found in neighbouring Poland. Polish rescue teams say the victim is not a local and have asked the missing woman’s relatives to identify the body. If confirmed the woman from Heřmanice will be the fourth Czech victim of the floods. A fifth person – an elderly man – is reported to have died of a heart attack.
Thousands of people in the stricken regions remain without gas and electricity supplies, the main suppliers RWE and ČEZ confirmed on Monday, saying it could take days to restore heat and power to all households, depending on the extent of damage in different areas. Several of the worst hit areas where electricity poles came down, will require putting up new electricity lines. Emergency generators are in place where possible.
Transport in the north of the country remains severely restricted with many towns and villages are only accessible by long detours. Some routes can only be covered by a combination of rail and bus transport due to the fact that both railway lines and roads have been damaged. The authorities have appealed to the public not to drive to the stricken region if possible in order to facilitate clean-up operations. Emergency crews are working around the clock dealing with mud-slides, collapsed bridges and roads.
A British court has sent a Czech national to six years in jail for a brutal attack on a two-year-old. The man, living in Cardiff with his girlfriend, attacked her two-year-old daughter after she refused to marry him. He allegedly grabbed the child, who was asleep in her cot, and twice smashed her against the wall. A doctor who treated the child said it was the worst case of abuse she had ever encountered and it was a miracle the child had survived the attack.
The unemployment rate rose to 8.7 percent in July after four months of decline, official data showed on Monday. The increase of 0,2 percent is being attributed to fresh school graduates registering at labour offices. In June, the rate stood at 8.5 percent, the lowest level since last October when the country showed gradual signs of recovering from the global economic slump.
In a separate set of data, the Czech Statistical Office said that inflation accelerated to a 12-month figure of 1.9 percent in July, the highest since March 2009. From June to July, consumer prices rose by 0.3 percent, pushed up by an increase in holiday prices, statisticians said. The Czech economy, heavily dependent on car production, contracted by 4.1 percent last year, posting the first annual decline in gross domestic product (GDP) since 1998. The central bank expects a recovery this year, with annual GDP growth reaching 1.6 percent.
A 16-year-old girl drowned after a raft she was on with four others
flipped over on the Ohře River near Karlovy Vary. The accident happened
shortly after noon on Sunday when the raft attempted to shoot through a
sluice. After it flipped, four made it to the river's edge. Rescue workers
found the girl’s body late on Sunday, and relatives have confirmed her
identity. None of the rafters were wearing safety vests and they had all
had alcohol before setting out on the river.
Number of single households increasing
Statistics show a rise in the number of single households with one in four Czechs now living alone. In Prague the number of single households has reached 40 percent. The increase monitored in the past seven years is attributed to the growing number of young people who remain single and also seniors living on their own. However around the country, the number of family households is still substantially –minimally twice - higher than that of single households.
At least three people drowned in flash floods which hit northern areas of
the Czech Republic on Saturday, police and rescue officials have said. The
floods struck primarily in the region of Liberec and the neighboring
nad Labem which declared a state of emergency. Among those who died in the
floods was an elderly man trapped in his home in Dolní Libchava near
Česká Lípa. Officials expect the final toll could be higher, as three
people remain missing - including a man who was last seen falling into
Along with the toll in lives, floodwaters on Saturday caused untold damage to property and infrastructure, grinding through asphalt roads and railway lines, sweeping away cars, and damaging or destroying personal homes. Around 2,000 people were evacuated from their homes by rescue workers and military personnel called in to deal with the calamity.
Some 700 professional as well as voluntary fire fighters worked around the clock together with the army, which supplied military and police helicopters for rescue missions, as well as heavy machinery and two amphibious vehicles. Both the head of the General Staff, Vlastimil Picek, and Defence Minister Alexandr Vondra flew to flood-stricken areas to assess the damage.
Although waters have since begun to recede in some areas, flood warnings
remained in ten places on Sunday morning with officials urging drivers,
example, not to head for Frýdlant, badly hit by the floods on Saturday.
The army and fire fighters are working to clear routes there as the day
A number of train lines remain closed due to collapsed ground, debris or mudslides, although the line to Dresden, Germany is reportedly now running. Meanwhile, power remains down in three regions where the utility ČEZ earlier declared a state of calamity: Ústí nad Labem, Liberec and Děčin: although some power has been restored, 1,700 households in northern Bohemia remain without electricity.
Rivers or streams on which water levels have begun to drop include the Kamenice, Lužická Nisa, Mandava, and Jeřice but 3rd level warnings (the second highest issued by the Hydrometeorological Institute) remained elsewhere.
In South Bohemia, an emergency flood alert warning has been issued for the Lužnice, which flows through Bechyně and is threatening to break its banks. The town of Veselí nad Lužnicí has begun preparing inhabitants for possible evacuation from their homes.