Prime Minister Andrej Babiš has urged Czech citizens not to travel to Italy and to stay at home for two weeks if they return from the country. Mr Babiš made the statement on his Twitter account following his meeting with deputy health minister Roman Prymula on Friday.
"This measure is essential to prevent uncontrolled spreading of coronavirus in the Czech Republic," Mr Babiš has said, adding that he will discuss the situation with Prague mayor and regional governors later in the day.
So far, state authorities have advised Czechs to avoid four high-risk regions in Italy: Lombardy, Veneto, Emilia Romagna and Piemont. According to the latest information, there are currently 3,858 people infected with coronavirus in Italy and 148 have died.
Brno scientists pair with Czech biotech firm to develop healing artificial tears
Traditional tourist sites open to visitors after long break
Czechs smoked less during Covid-19 outbreak but paid more due to tax hike
“There is no reason to panic” — says health minister about Karviná COVID-19 outbreak
Czech scientists researching molecule responsible for ‘cytokine storms’ – deadly consequence of many COVID-19 infections