Prague city councillors have approved a CZK 74 million public works project
to reconstruct Malostranské Square to make it more pedestrian-friendly.
The plan calls for removing a car park on the upper square, dominated by the Baroque church of St Nicholas, installing benches, streetlamps and a fountain, and widening pavements leading uphill to Prague Castle.
A car park on the historic lower square was already removed last year to make way for benches and vendors.
The Czech Republic on Sunday reported the country’s first death of a
patient with coronavirus: a 95-year-old man with serious existing
conditions admitted to Prague’s Bulovka hospital on 18 March.
The man likely contracted Covid-19 in a nursing home, which is now undergoing comprehensive inspections, including testing.
On Sunday, 114 new coronavirus cases were confirmed, bringing the total number to 1165. Six people have been cured of Covid-19, according to the Ministry of Health, and 17,377 people have been tested.
Czech Television began broadcasting the temporary ČT3 station for seniors
on Monday morning to help them better understand the situation regarding
the coronavirus and cope with the quarantine.
The station will air regular 15-minute news bulletins for seniors as well as a selection of programmes from the public broadcaster’s archives of likely interest to older generations. ČT3 station will broadcast daily from 9:00am to 5:25pm.
The Czech Republic is sending 40 Italian nationals back to their home
country by bus today along with 100,000 face masks to prevent the spread of
coronavirus, mistakenly seized last week in a police raid.
Last Tuesday Czech police confiscated 680,000 face masks and 28,000 respirators found in a northern Bohemian warehouse likely intended for re-export by a group illegally trading in protective gear.
Among the supplies seized in Lovosice was a shipment of face masks from the Red Cross of Qinghai City in China intended for their compatriots in Italy.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in cooperation with other states, commercial carriers and travel agencies, has thus far transported about 2,500 Czechs by air from abroad.
Another 1,850 returned on buses dispatched from European airports, ČTK reports. Buses of returning Czechs are due to leave Paris, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Berlin and Vienna in the coming days.
The government is planning to extend the restrictions on movement
introduced on March 13th in connection with the coronavirus epidemic until
April 1st, Prime Minister Andrej Babiš told Czech Television on Sunday.
The government should vote on the extension at its session on Monday.
It is also expected to discuss the introduction of a Kurzarbeit program – a short-time working arrangement in which civilian employees agree to or are forced to accept a reduction in working time and pay, usually introduced in times of recession.In this case it would serve to keep the economy going in the face of severe coronavirus restrictions.
The government is also expected to extend the ban on travel to cross-border workers, who thus far has an exemption.
The Ministry of Health has taken steps to restrict prescription of the drug
Plaquenil, which is used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis,
but has also shown promise of being effective against the coronavirus.
The country’s leading epidemiologist and head of the Central Crisis Staff said on Sunday the drug could be useful in the treatment of Covid-19 as it shortens the time of virus secretion.
The restriction went into force at 6 pm on Sunday to prevent people hoarding it as they have drugs containing paracetamol.
Czech doctors reported the first coronavirus-related death on Sunday. The
first victim was a 95-year-old man who had other serious health problems.
The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the Czech Republic reached 1120 on Sunday, after an increase of 158 cases on Saturday. Friday saw 124 new cases, the biggest increase -205 cases – was registered on Thursday.
Seventy-four people are hospitalized, eleven are on ventilators, seven patients are in “very serious to critical condition”. Over 15,580 tests have been conducted to date. Six people have fully recovered from COVID-19.
The Czech Foreign Ministry will send four evacuation planes to repatriate
Czech nationals from the Baltic states, Egypt, the Philippines and Vietnam.
The planes should bring back around 700 people, of which 600 are Czech nationals, the rest citizens of other EU member states.
The Czech Foreign Ministry has urged Czech nationals who are stranded abroad by the coronavirus crisis to contact the nearest Czech embassy or consulate and ask for help.
They have also been encouraged to try to get on a flight back to Europe, ideally to the EU.
The Czech Foreign Ministry has promised to deliver a consignment of 100,000
face masks which were confiscated within a police haul last week to Italy.
They were found in a warehouse where the police confiscated 680.000 masks which were likely intended for re-export by a group illegally trading in protective gear.
A subsequent investigation revealed that some of them were a gift from the Red Cross of Qinghai City of China's Jiang Province to Chinese compatriots in Italy.
Czech Foreign Minister Tomáš Petříček assured the Italian authorities that the masks would be sent to their rightful destination at the beginning of next week.
Milan Kundera is a ‘moral relativist’ with much to hide, says Czech author of controversial new biography
Czech Republic opens up to more tourists from Europe and beyond as coronavirus travel restrictions eased
Janek Rubeš: The only question I get – and there are thousands of them – is, Can we come to Prague?
Facemask requirement eased but new restrictions for area hit by spike in Covid-19 cases
Czech nation pays tribute to Milada Horáková on 70th anniversary of her judicial murder