The Czech Foreign Ministry is marking the 50th anniversary of the 1968
Soviet-led invasion of Czechoslovakia with exhibitions and special events
at Czech embassies around the world.
The Foreign Ministry has also organized several international conferences on the subject.
Czech cultural centres abroad are showing an exhibition titled Prague Spring 1968.
People in the Czech Republic will be able to view the exhibition at the Czech Centre in Prague’s Rytířská street in October.
Jakub Kornfeil secured a career first pole on the eve of his 155th race
start on home soil in qualifying for the Czech Moto3 Grand Prix at Brno.
The other Czech, Filip Salač, who was racing on a wild card, finished last.
Kornfeil, who came second in Le Mans, said it had been an incredible experience to win on home ground cheered by thousands of fans.
The police is investigating the circumstances of the drowning of two
Vietnamese seven-year-old boys at Lake Lhota near Prague on Friday.
The mothers of the two boys have complained that when they reported the children missing the employees of the bathing resort had not taken them seriously and a search had only been launched several hours later.
The lifeguard was reportedly not at his post because of the heat.
The Czech-Vietnamese Society has called for the incident to be thoroughly investigated.
Eyewitness reports appear to confirm the parent’s claims.
As the drawn-out period of drought in the Czech Republic continues many
mayors have issued a ban on using tap water to fill swimming pools and
water gardens. Regional governors are counting the costs of the drought and
preparing to ask for state compensation.
Meanwhile, the Environment Ministry is preparing a long-term strategy to fight drought. These include more water basins, landscape changes and support for water saving projects, such as contributing to the cost of reservoirs for rain water. The cost of the anti-drought measures should reach 42 billion crowns.
A Czech tourist in Egypt was attacked and killed by a shark on Friday, the
news site Echo 24 reported. The news was confirmed by Czech Foreign
Ministry spokeswoman Michaela Lagronova.
According to Echo 24 the victim was a 41 year-old-man holidaying in Marsa Alam with his wife and children. Egypt is a popular holiday destination with Czechs.
Transparency International Czech Republic has filed a complaint against
Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš on the grounds of information which
suggests that although he put his billion-crown conglomerate Agrofert into
a trust fund to comply with the conflict of interests law, he is still the
person controlling the company.
Transparency says that in the Slovak Register of Public Sector Partners the company Agrofert has five controlling persons on record. Four of them can be removed by the fifth person who is at the same time irrevocable. This controlling person and one of the end users of benefits is reportedly Andrej Babiš.
Transparency says the findings may have serious implications both as regards the conflict of interest law and EU funding policies.
Prime Minister Babiš has dismissed the accusations as nonsensical.
A footbridge on the Labe River, near Nymburk has been pulled down for
safety reasons. The footbridge was deemed dangerous both to pedestrians and
boats passing under it and has been closed to traffic since June. The
footbridge had the same construction as that which collapsed in Prague’s
Troja district late last year.
The Labe is a busy waterway which connects the cities of Melnik, Nymburk and Kolin with Berlin and the Baltic Sea. There is no alternative waterway. Work on clearing up the debris of the demolished bridge is expected to last until August 12.
“There is no reason to panic” — says health minister about Karviná COVID-19 outbreak
Czechs smoked less during Covid-19 outbreak but paid more due to tax hike
Czech minister calls for strict enforcement of existing laws on Airbnb style short-term rentals
Lower house approves record 500 billion crown spending gap due to coronavirus